Welcome to Torbay Teaching School Alliance
We hope that you enjoy your visit to our website, and that you find the information you are looking for. Please feel free to contact the Teaching School office at Oldway Primary School direct with any queries you may have on (01803) 697634.
For up-to-date information on news and events, follow us on Twitter:
Torbay Teaching School Alliance
has been at the heart of local education since its inception as one of the first teaching schools in the country. Education moves quickly and at the Teaching School we recognise that we need to adapt and change to reflect current need. For this reason, in 2016/17, we changed our subscription model to reflect the local need and in response to Headteachers’ survey responses. The new membership model will continue for 2017/18 and can be found below. Several elements of current teaching school membership will continue to be provided by TTSA, independently of membership subscription:
Initial Teacher Education (ITE) will continue to be provided, with our strong School Direct programme offering routes into teaching in partnership with Plymouth University. Traditionally these routes are being taken up by our highest level support staff who are keen to stay and train and work in Torbay and Devon.
TTSA continues to be the Appropriate Body for NQTs in Torbay. All Torbay schools and academies have funding top-sliced to pay for this service and are entitled to NQT evaluation, support and CPD through the Teaching School regardless of subscription.
School to school support is an area that TTSA is passionate about and we currently hold the LA’s school improvement fund which is allocated by the School to School Support Board, with members from Shiphay, LAP, Oldway, Roselands, Mayfield, the Local Authority and the National College. We will continue to provide high quality support for schools in need and to bid for additional funding to support schools in raising standards by working hand in hand with National Leaders of Education (NLEs) and Specialist Leaders of Education (SLEs), and with schools’ own leaders in the interests of all children.
To support schools in delivering high quality, well-researched educational practice in all schools in order that children’s life choices are enhanced and improved.
- A highly skilled teacher base from NQT through RQT to experienced teachers
- Strong and developing leadership at all levels
- Recruitment and retention of quality staff to provide a stable system of education for our children
- Provision of broad and varied curriculum opportunities for children
- Actions based upon nationally validated research that improve outcomes for children
- Support for all membership schools both pastorally and academically
- Work undertaken in schools is audited and providers are quality assured
- English, Mathematics and Science networks with a clear school improvement focus (to include those that tackle issues raised by data analysis) to be led by consultants with a national picture, supported by SLEs co-ordinating local delivery and school needs-led foci
- Links to nationally recognised organisations to support school development and other organisations beyond Torbay, through an Innovation Fund to support collaborative research and development
- Provision of a Headteacher Support Service - Professional, confidential, pastoral support for Headteachers, Executive Headteachers and CEOs
- High Quality ITE and NQT programmes will continue to be provided by the Teaching School (NQT support paid for through the DSG)
- Programmes for RQTs and leadership at all levels
- School to school support extended beyond schools in need, to include access to high quality evaluation for all member schools
For the 2017/18 academic year, we are pleased to offer several membership packages: